[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript with no progressivefall-back

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 28 19:04:28 EST 2007

Peter Sawczynec ps-at-sun-code.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>It is interesting to note here that iframes have a history. If I recall
>correctly:
>
>Originally, iframes were an IE only gambit and served to sidestep the
>more routinely employed numbingly complex of framesets, divs, layers and
>ilayers.
>
>Then iframes were a security issue.
>
>Today iframes are a very handy vehicle allowing fast integration of
>disparate content items/sources.
>
>Like Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Ian Malcolm says -- I think maybe in Jurassic
>Park X, and correct me if I am wrong, but he says: "Nature will find a
>way. Nature always finds a way."
>
>Peter

And as I am sure many people have said, big business will always try and
limit innovation. IFrames (and asynchronous modification of page
content) is a problem for search engines. To the extent that you need
search engine referred traffic relevant to your page content, you need
to avoid iframes and ajax (for now).

Chris' example is a submisison form, which has little to do with SE
traffic. In general iframes are problematic for search engine spiders
and ajax used for content (as opposed to UI stuff) is also problematic
for spiders and indexing.

-=john andrews
Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com