[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript withno progressivefall-back

Peter Sawczynec ps at sun-code.com
Wed Feb 28 21:07:01 EST 2007

Gaining and maintaining good search engine results is important.

But, personally (and I'm stressing the all out subjectivity) I would not
press a client to compromise or shelve one iota of cutting edge,
involving, striking, memorable, convenient, effective, versatile,
cost-effective, meaningful, productive, or any other 'dead right on,
exactly what the site needs' design or layout or tools or architecture
even if search engines still have issues with it.

That is my pure personal subjective attitude.

So I'd say: use iframes to integrate content, if that is the answer that
solves your web presentation issue. Then use the entire tool box of
other ways to fortify your seo issues. But, of course, the customer gets
the final say.

Several, top-level solid pages on the site that have well-thought-out
page title, complete meta tags, alt tags and other proper company
information and identification are the core essentials that need to be
injected into the site. Then you need some meaningful content that is
worth checking out.

Because I deal freelance essentially with smaller businesses (though
they usually have gross sales in the multi-millions), when I first come
across their existing low search engine visibility pages, (I am sorry to
disclose) but I have found they frequently don't even have proper meta
tags. After we pump in the meta, structure the site properly, present it
more clearly with a sound menu and architecture, their search engine
results are nicely improved and we even have some Flash eye candy and
use JavaScripted menus, and make titles out of gifs.

I would never stop a client from listening to and employing specialized
seo consultation strategies and if they were to direct me to meet
certain criteria, I'd do it.

When I go to work, I first reference powerhouse sites like cnn, mtv,
bbc, yahoo, google, cartier, kb homes, dodge, vogue, dow jones, forbes,
fortune... and see what they are up too. They are not running from any
technology, they all pull every dirty development technique in the book
that makes the site work for the user to the point where they put heir
own web cause second and the user's cause first. And they seem to keep
winning.

As usual I would first stress business/web innovation and leadership
first -- see how your immediate clients and their clients express
appreciation -- your business will get recognized for all of it.

Just my dos centavos.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec
Technology Director