[nycphp-talk] And the HTML CSS guru is....

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Thu Jan 11 11:10:30 EST 2007

Yeah... the hack is necessary.  Fortunately, IE's conditional comments
provide a clean way to add css hacks for IE.  <!--[if lt IE 7]> is a
conditional comment that only IE recognizes... what it's saying is to
apply the rule if the version of IE is less than IE 7... so it's
targeting IE 6 and below.  IE7 implements the min-height css rule, but
IE6 does not know what min-height is.

If you move that rule (height: 100%; for the #wrapper div) to the main
css, then the footer will overlap the body if the height of your window
is small enough in Firefox, IE 7, and other standards-compliant
browsers.  The height: 100% works for IE6 because IE6 always
automatically expands the height of an element to fit it's content
whereas other browsers let the content spill out of the element if it
doesn't fit into the defined height.

If you're interested in getting more into css/html, I learned a lot from
the css-discuss mailing list and wiki here: http://css-discuss.incutio.com
Here are some other sites with good articles:
http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk
http://www.alistapart.com

Mike Stenhouse from Content with Style created a great css framework
that allows you to not reinvent the wheel to do common layouts:
<http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/17/a-css-framework/>

I have to admit though... avoiding using tables for layout can really
rack your brain in some situations and take more time to implement.  You
get used to ways to solve certain problems after you've been doing it
for a while though.  I've found a couple Firefox extensions to be
indispensable:
Web Developer by Chris Pederick and HTML Validator by Marc Gueury

By the way, if want to use the code I supplied and you don't have your
web server setup to serve pages as utf-8 and haven't saved your
documents as utf-8, you should switch the meta tag back to iso-8859-1:

Good luck!
-Rob