[nycphp-talk] Followup: Going weekly rate for php developer/coder in NYC these days?

Nicholas Tang ntang at communityconnect.com
Thu Jan 18 12:10:03 EST 2007

Just curious, where does the $60/2.4 come from?  If that's accounting for benefits, then the number you're dividing by (2.4) seems way too high.  $60/hour is worth around $120k in salary, so you're saying that $70k of that goes towards benefits?  That math doesn't make any sense to me.  From what I've seen benefits don't increase linearly with salary, and at the higher end of the market (like for mid/ senior level devs) it's a much lower % than it is for someone starting out.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that a good developer (or mediocre developer who's also a good salesperson) can definitely get more than $60/hour, and we certainly pay our PHP developers more than $50k/year as well.

I will gladly vouch for OmniTI - they're a great company, and we actually work with them on a few things, and they've got a lot of brilliant people.  Seriously.  George and Theo are two of the smartest people I've ever had the pleasure of working with (and the rest I assume are also very good, I just don't know as well).

Of course, I think we're not bad either.  ;)  (And we're also almost always hiring.)

Nicholas

P.S.  Plug plug:
http://www.communityconnect.com/jobs.html