[nycphp-talk] Intellectual Monday

Billy Reisinger billy.reisinger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 20:45:32 EST 2007

I got nothing on chaining, but I have some opinions about the
prototype concept.
The prototyping concept in general is similar to using a static
member in Java.  A function prototype in JavaScript is a member that
is common to all instances of that function (read: class).  If one
instance decides to change that prototype, all instances of that
function immediately inherit that change.   Additionally, the
prototype resides in a single spot in physical memory (supposedly),
such that every new copy of a function uses the same set of
prototypes.  I'm not a PHP expert, but I imagine there is a similar
concept in PHP....
One of the problems I've run into with javascript in a production
environment is that it actually allows you to extend native objects,
which themselves are just functions.   Extending native objects (i.e.
Function, Object, Array, Element, etc.) can lead to unexpected errors
when your code interacts with an outside environment.  Just to give
you an example, extending the Array class with custom methods leads
to these methods appearing as entries for every array in foreach
loops.  Probably not what you wanted.
AFAIK, PHP doesn't allow you to extend native objects like JavaScript
does.  Probably a good thing, anyway.