[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sun Jul 8 20:21:46 EDT 2007

At 6:42 PM -0400 7/8/07, David Krings wrote:

>The correct answer was posted earlier and is also in the PHP
>Cookbook on books.google.com. Supposedly it enhances clarity, which
>I doubt it does unless one is very intimate with the list() and
>array() functions.

David:

Nothing enhances clarity better than familiarity.

True, the answer was noted in the PHP Cookbook on page 120, but the
point was that I remembered it. I have literally scores of different
programming books which I read time and time again. Each time, I
learn and remember something new -- AND where I read it. My books are
filled with sticky notes sticking out of the pages with dozens of
things I want to remember.

Even with this list -- every time someone post a routine or a snip-it
of code to solve a problem, I copy, make an index for it, catalog it,
list who said it (that's important), and sometimes even make a
working example so I can reference it later when I run into the same
problem. I have hundred's or working examples as my reference.

Sure, it's a lot of hard work, but it's necessary if you're going to
be good at what you do. No profession is easy and what you know, is
what you sell.

Like the old mechanic who was brought a car that didn't run right. He
listened to the engine and took a hammer and hit it. Suddenly the
engine ran like it was new. The customer asked "How much do I owe
you?" To which the mechanic said "A hundred bucks!" The customer
replied "That's a lot of money just to hit an engine with a hammer."
The mechanic replied "No, that only cost a buck -- it was knowing
where to hit it that cost the most."

Cheers,

tedd

--