[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

P. Ju (朱漢璇) pjlists at pobox.com
Sun Jul 8 21:46:46 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I'm new to this list but not to PHP. I've been architecting and
developing Web applications and networked software products for about
17 years and have had the good fortune to work for some very
interesting clients such as Nike, BMG Direct, the Chicago Tribune,
Lycos, &c.

 I've also conducted programming skill assessments which resulted in
stronger candidate matches for fast paced projects. However, I've also
interviewed candidates whom I thought were weak technically and poor
choices, but with whom the hiring manager had long-term relationships.
Guess what? Those candidates worked hard, got up to speed, and ended
up being valuable long term investments!

I agree with Urb in that I'd much rather see a third variable for the
value-swapping question than the "xor" which obfuscates the code. Only
in extreme resource duress (embedded systems, PDAs, watch PCs :) would
I resort to obfuscation for optimization, and when I do I always feel
a slight pang of guilt.

Thanks for this resource, and I hope to meet you all when I re-move to
NYC (grew up there, left a decade ago) in July/August!

Regards,

Patricia Ju