[nycphp-talk] Resize pictures before uploading

Dell Sala dell at sala.ca
Thu Jul 12 14:39:06 EDT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Brian Dailey wrote:

> Randal Rust wrote:
>> On 6/20/07, Nelly Yusupova <nelly at cgim.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a script or any way I can resize the pictures before
>>> uploading?

>> They need to go buy copies of Photoshop LE and you need to give
>> them the instructions on how to resample and resize the images
>> before they upload them.
>
> A less expensive option (if you're going to go the "fix the root
> cause" route) is to use the free program Irfanview. I'm sure there
> are other free alternatives, but Irfanview is fairly easy for the
> uninitiated to use.

Check out http://picnik.com/

This is a surprisingly powerful and easy-to-use online image editor.
All implemented in flash. Basic accounts are free.

One cool feature is that you can email the image somewhere after
you've finished editing it. I've been toying with the idea of
implementing a CMS tool that supports image uploads through a pop
account. The idea would be, after you've finished editing your image
in picnic, you would email it to upload at SOMDOMAIN.COM, and the CMS
application would automatically check that mailbox for new images.

Probably some security issues with this though... any thoughts?

-- Dell