[nycphp-talk] Resize pictures before uploading

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 14:42:56 EDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Dell Sala <dell at sala.ca> wrote:

> Check out http://picnik.com/
>
> This is a surprisingly powerful and easy-to-use online image editor.
> All implemented in flash. Basic accounts are free.

Too cute for words. But it doesn't do anything about
resizing/resampling pictures before uploading.

Steve Francia mentioned Flash as a platform that has access to local
files, but I can't think offhand of how you'd resize images using
actionscript--otherwise everyone would be doing it by now. But
maybe...

On client education front, if you are lucky enough to have clients
with Macs, you just need to teach them about Cmd-Shift-4, which gives
you crosshairs for taking a screenshot. Open a large image in
Preview.app, scale it onscreen, and then Cmd-Shift-4 to produce a
smallish png (I know, not jpeg) that can be uploaded in a reasonable
amount of time.

> One cool feature is that you can email the image somewhere after
> you've finished editing it. I've been toying with the idea of
> implementing a CMS tool that supports image uploads through a pop
> account. The idea would be, after you've finished editing your image
> in picnic, you would email it to upload at SOMDOMAIN.COM, and the CMS
> application would automatically check that mailbox for new images.
>
> Probably some security issues with this though... any thoughts?

Yeah, how do you keep someone from publishing personal enhancement
product ads to your CMS? It should be trivially easy to fake an email
from picnik, or for that matter to just use picnik to spam in the
first place.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/