[nycphp-talk] Oh... Interviewing

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Mon Jul 23 17:58:44 EDT 2007

At 10:08 AM -0400 7/23/07, charlie derr wrote:
>tedd wrote:
>>At 11:11 PM -0400 7/20/07, CED wrote:
>>>
>>>Thoughts?
>>
>>I wouldn't take your test either.
>>
>Perhaps the test did exactly what it was supposed to.  My assumption
>is that the company which attempted to give you the test wanted not
>only someone that they could *verify* had certain technical skills,
>but they also wanted someone who wouldn't be a "social" problem.
>By also weeding out the people who refused to take the test, perhaps
>they thought they'd be getting a certain kind of worker (one less
>likely to complain about certain tasks).

As far a verifying if I could do fractions, that's pretty lame. If
they want to verify my education, then they contact the colleges I
graduated from. In the process, I did tell them that I could prepare
a math test that no one in their office could pass, but I doubt if
that helped anything. The interview was long over by then. :-)

In any event, their process worked -- it got this socially
maladjusted programmer out the door.

But, if that's what they were doing, then I don't really agree with
the process of insulting someone to judge if their desire for the job
outweighs their self esteem. Who would anyone want to work for a
company like that?  (Rhetorical)

Cheers,

tedd
--