[nycphp-talk] nyc php classes (night/long format)

Peter Sawczynec ps at sun-code.com
Wed Jun 13 09:08:20 EDT 2007

I am recommending, as best as you can lookup and use only coding
examples that program with classes. Don't avoid it, go straight to it.
Learn everything in context of classes, your potential hourly rate 9
months from now will ikely be 33% higher than what you might get without
class knowledge. And my impression is that there is not a job posting
anymore that doesn't call for classes.

A young turk should know the new stuff. Learn only the newest version of
everything software, meaning e.g. PHP 6 and 5 over version 4.x. Never
bother to learn old versions. By the time you get competitive nobody is
gonna care that you know old versions of software.

Use multi-page tutorials on the internet that show how to build a login
section or make a basic mailer app. When you look these up with google,
you might try to use the advanced search filter by date feature and stay
with things posted within the last year to stay out of old ideas and
techniques since marked as bad paractice.

Get a book that shows several rudimetary projects done with classes and
step by step coding.

Look up all you function related questions on php.net. Often if you look
at related functions you will find user contributions that answer your
needs too. Ultimately, php.net usually answers everything. You'll find a
lot of other answer sites source from php.net anyway.

And, of course, yes, this list is pedigree for answers. Contibutors are
awake all over the world 24 hrs, 7 days with answers often showing up
within an hour. And if you cloak all questions as somehow related to a
PHP issue, you can get excellent answers to RegExp, SQL, XML, AJAX and
even CSS from people who a clearly expert.

Meanwhile, like Jim Cramer be prepared for drinking some cheap dark
Scotch by yourself down on the cold linoleum floor.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec
Technology Dir.
Sun-code.com