[nycphp-talk] nyc php classes (night/long format)

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Wed Jun 13 13:34:54 EDT 2007

Peter Sawczynec wrote:
> I have found in my own experience (in VB, VBScript, ASP, PHP, XML, SQL,
> JavaScript, etc.), that every time you learn something and the author
> hints that technically there is actually a more obscure, more difficult
> to comprehend and harder to execute, more exacting technique that
> handles more exceptions and degrades gracefully -- that the moment you
> get invovled in even the most trivial commercial project you will
> instantly discover that you absolutley must employ that more arcane,
> more difficult programming technique to successfully handle even the
> most minor task before you.
>
> That is why ultimately you will absolutely need an abstract learning
> tome under your belt too.

Thank you very much for the hints. I am more interested in improving the
maintainability of my code. I often do not anticipate what I might want
to do and when I add functionality I often find myself creating code
that is only slightly different from existing code. I sometimes manage
to simplify and externalize into functions that can be included when
needed, but something tells me that there might be a better way.

I am not engaging in commercial projects and don't plan to do so. I have
no formal software development background and do this for fun. Shouldn't
stop me from learning new things and doing it 'right', whatever that is.
I used to be scared by arrays and $_SESSION, now I use them all the
time. C'mon, classes can't be that tricky.

David