[nycphp-talk] [OT] Does anyone know how Google grouped links a re done?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:44:02 EDT 2007

DeWitt, Michael mjdewitt-at-alexcommgrp.com |nyphp dev/internal group
use| wrote:

>I was going through Google and noticed for some companies, they have a
>series of grouped links appearing under the main search result.  For
>example: http://www.google.com/search?q=ioma , look at the 1st result for
>Ioma.  They have 4 links plus a "more" link.  I thought this might be a
>"subscribed" link, but I thought you had to subscribe in order to see the
>additional subscribed links?
>
>I would appreciate any insight as to how this is done.
>
>Mike

These are being called "site links" and are intended to show the
searcher how a site has clearly-defined user interest areas, to help
them in their search.

It is believed that user click data is being used to help determine the
need for site links, although some SEO people have been teasing Google
this year and there are now some sites showing site links that probably
shouldn't have them ;-)

Most people I know think site links are based mostly on site structure
and back links.

If your site qualifies (searchers would benefit from site links as
search navigation aids)  then a good SEO would probably guide you by
suggesting that you:

- get inbound links from on-theme trusted sources TO your desired site
link demarcation page, and make sure the page it titled and has H1/2
tags that match the theme exactly. e.g. get job sites to link back to
/human-resources/index.html and make sure that page is titled "human
resources" and has a h1/h2 set to match that specific theme.
- make sure the site nav goes to that same demarcation page using the
same title/htag-matching anchor text
- add some internal text links to refer people to that same demarcation
page with matching context words and anchor text (be your own best friend)

A more advanced SEO would probably suggest you mine your own traffic
logs and find the pages that Google ranks for "human resources",
"careers", "jobs" etc and add a section to those (in H tags) that tells
visitors that if they are looking for human resources (link) for careers
at mycompany (link) they should go to the human resources page (link).
In cases where the destnation page for incoming Google referrals
on-theme was not important, 301 redirect it to the human resources page.

Personally, I would do that last step first.

I hope that helps.

-=john andrews

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com