[nycphp-talk] [OT] XSS, Joomla & Remote Shells

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Thu Jun 28 20:18:04 EDT 2007

I think an even worse attack would be what happened to WordPress not
too long ago, the code itself on the distribution servers was
tinkered with.  It's a little unfair to point out XSS as being only a
Joomla issue.  It happens to any software that lingers past even a
single minor 0.1 upgrade, including C libraries and such.

The bottom line is if you are shared hosting you are leaving
"security" in the hands of your ISP period.  If you are running your
own boxes and don't have things like Tripwire or Snort running you
are going to be unaware of such attacks anyway.

One of better ways to keep up on it is to monitor files like Bleeding
Edge for software you are running ...

http://www.bleedingsnort.com/bleeding-web.rules

- Jon