[nycphp-talk] Flexible Forms & How to store them...

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:17:02 EDT 2007

On 5/15/07, Jon Baer <jonbaer at jonbaer.com> wrote:
> This is really a 2 layer approach not using MySQL for FT indexing.
> Any other option gives you
> way more IR functions than MySQL does.  Although it would be fair to
> point out that it is pluggable: ( <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/
> 5.1/en/plugin-full-text-plugins.html> ) But still pretty new.

I'm all for the 2 layer approach -- at that point it doesn't really
matter how you store the data in the db. YAML seems especially
friendly, but it could be RDF, some other flavor of XML, or even a
serialized PHP object. As a developer you get a tremendous amount of
flexibility at a negative cost, because you don't have to write any
complex SQL, ever, once you take care of CRUD.

It scares the beejeesus out of anyone with a background in databases,
though. The people I work with think I'm completely off my nut for
storing data this way. They're asking me to use custom tables for even
the simplest business objects, despite the fact that the model changes
constantly. I'd love to find a technique that we could all embrace.

If Ken Downs is reading this thread, I hope next Tuesday's talk will
touch on this topic...

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/