[nycphp-talk] Need About creating search

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Wed Nov 21 06:43:24 EST 2007

birgunj birgunj wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> i am making website using php and mysql.i want to add search option in
> mysite so that  when user search ,it search my entire site and display
> the result with respective page?
>
> i have no exprience about creating search.if anybody has any idea or
> article or material ,please share with me.please send me every step
> because i have no exprince about creating search.

You want to use something else and not make it from scratch (unless you
insist). I made great experience with swish-e, see http://swish-e.org/
I let the indexer run on a cron job and wrapped the search display option in
PHP scripts. You can get quite a bit of info and make the results look like
those shown from web search sites. The nice thing is that swish-e even indexes
PDFs and other text document files as long as it has a chance of reading them.

David