[nycphp-talk] If/else vs Try/catch

A. lists at nopersonal.info
Wed Nov 28 16:56:34 EST 2007

John Zabroski wrote:
> --- csnyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Error handling doesn't need to be part of your
>> program logic anymore.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Snyder
>> http://chxo.com/
>
> Be careful saying that, especially to a newbie.  While
> experienced programmers presumably understand
> statements other experienced programmers like you
> make, a newbie might not understand an overly general
> statement like the one you just made.  I understand
> what you are saying, but it is a gross simplification
> for someone needing deep, penetrating understanding of
> a new concept.

Thanks for pointing that out, John. As a lurker & relative newbie who's
still struggling to wrap her head around several concepts (esp.
security), I understood that error handling couldn't completely go away,
but I wasn't real clear on where it moved to with try/catch.

I'm still not all that clear on it (I'm a long way away from
understanding most of the stuff you guys talk about), but every little
revelation helps.

Aminah