[nycphp-talk] Is it hard to compile and install php from source?

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Wed Oct 10 15:02:14 EDT 2007

My service provider doesn¹t have an rhel4 rpm for php5.2.x. They gave me
three options:

1. Switch to Fedora 7 or Ubuntu 7.0.4
2. Have them do it (they quoted 1-3 hours)
3. Their last suggestion, which they discourage ‹ do it myself

What do you suggest? The geek in me wants to take on the challenge. But the
businessman in me knows there¹s only so many hours in the day. Switching OS
seem easy, but I have another server elsewhere that uses rhel4 and would
like to maintain some consistency. Thoughts?

Cliff