[nycphp-talk] Is it hard to compile and install php from source?

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Wed Oct 10 15:09:11 EDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Cliff Hirsch wrote:

> What do you suggest? The geek in me wants to take on the challenge. But the
> businessman in me knows there¹s only so many hours in the day. Switching OS
> seem easy, but I have another server elsewhere that uses rhel4 and would
> like to maintain some consistency. Thoughts?

PHP is not hard to build from source (though on Solaris its a bitch
because the Solaris build system is old and retarded). It really
depends on what extensions you want enabled. The libraries those
extensions depend on need to be installed first before you configure and
build PHP. So basically you will have to do the dependency checking first.

I used to do this on older-no-longer-supported RH boxes.

--
Aj.