[nycphp-talk] Compiling PHP

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Mon Oct 22 12:22:37 EDT 2007

First thing Id do is grab php-5.2.4 and mysql 5.0.45 sources and
untar to /usr/local/src so you have them in case they are not there
or outdated.

Run "php -i | grep configure" and copy that to a handy file
somewhere, it shows how your current php bin was built.  Look for the
mysql directives ...

./configure --help | grep mysql
   --with-mysql[=DIR]      Include MySQL support. DIR is the MySQL
base directory
   --with-mysql-sock[=DIR]   MySQL: Location of the MySQL unix socket
pointer.
   --with-mysqli[=FILE]    Include MySQLi support.  FILE is the
optional pathname
                           to mysql_config [mysql_config]
   --enable-embedded-mysqli  MYSQLi: Enable embedded support
   --with-pdo-mysql[=DIR]    PDO: MySQL support. DIR is the MySQL
base directory

Your configure should already point to apxs for your apache setup so
you don't need to do anything w/ apache except restart when the
recompile is done.

When I did this before I learned my lesson of symlinking up versions
of mysql (and php) so I could easily rollback.

BTW, was mysql compiled in or is it shared?  From what I recall if it
is shared you can also jump into /ext/mysql and run phpize,
configure, make and swap out the extension in php.ini.  This would of
course be a possibly less secure method.

- Jon