[nycphp-talk] Application performance optimization

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Mon Oct 22 17:10:15 EDT 2007

I am testing my production site, and something seems to be very wrong. I
just loaded my homepage and it took 53.46 seconds. Clearly unacceptable for
a production web site. And there should be zero load on the site, since
no-one knows about it. One 775 byte image took 23 seconds. A 51byte image
took 6 seconds. The main script took 28 seconds. Pulling in a 60K javascript
file took 10 seconds.

When accessing the page a second time, where the images and Javascript are
pulled from the browser cache, the load time is typically a more respectable
250msec ‹ about what I would expect.

I know the script is fast ‹ for the homepage there is barely any load at
all. The site seems to be choking on the static content. There are a lot of
static images to download... Sure, I expect the static content to take a bit
of time to pull in, but 56 seconds?!

Are there setting in Apache (or elsewhere) that would stall the download of
multiple image files? Number of simultaneous connections, etc. Any idea for
how to debug this? I can debug php, for a slow static image? I¹m clueless...

Thanks,
Cliff