[nycphp-talk] Minimal overhead

Paul M Jones pmjones88 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 14:00:24 EDT 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 7:02 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Suppose I don't want it to be so obvious that I'm using PHP on a
> site, Or that I just want the freedom to not always use PHP in a
> given document. Thus I decide to configure Apache to treat
> all .html files as PHP files.
>
> How much overhead does this add for the common case when a file
> only contains static data, no PHP? Would I notice the hit?

Depends on the particular server, but:  merely invoking the PHP
interpreter, you can expect it to cut your requests-per-second by 40
to 60 percent.

Scroll down to the "Baseline" heading here for more info:

     http://paul-m-jones.com/blog/?p=238

--

Paul M. Jones  <http://paul-m-jones.com>

Solar: Simple Object Library and Application Repository
for PHP5.  <http://solarphp.com>

Join the Solar community wiki!  <http://solarphp.org>

Savant: The simple, elegant, and powerful solution for
templates in PHP.  <http://phpsavant.com>