[nycphp-talk] Asynchronous downloads -- how?

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Wed Sep 5 14:41:54 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

Let's say you have a link on a page,
www.example.com/friendly-url/file.mp3, which is actually being handled
by a PHP file that checks for subscription status and then sends the
file.  It looks like a straight download to the user.  So far so good.

Now let's say the file is 50MB, so that a download will take several
minutes.

When the user initiates the download, and then attempts to go to another
page on the site, they cannot.  All access to the site is waiting until
the download completes.

I would like the user to be able to continue to navigate while the
download continues in the background.

The best I could come up with on Google suggests that it is the apache
server that is limiting the number of requests it will serve to a given
host.  Zend sells something that supposedly cures this for downloads,
but they wont' give pricing on their site and they did not answer my
inquiry.

Anybody know if an apache setting can be made to allow more connections
to a domain from  a host?  At least two I figure, so that the download
and page navigation can both be going on?

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.