[nycphp-talk] AJAX and State

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Sep 22 08:19:01 EDT 2007

Daniel Convissor wrote:

> Basic and Digest auth are slow when it comes to dealing with large user
> bases.

I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever.

> They also increase insecurity, particularly when working over
> non-encrypted connections.

For basic I'd use encrypted connections only. Digest is fine in the
"clear".

> Plus I don't like the idea of keeping
> authentication information in the browser.

Tough. That's being done anyway.

> Sure, session id's introduce security pitfalls such as session hijacking,
> but that seems less ominous to me than giving out your user name and
> password on each request.

Only basic really gives out user name and password info one each
request. Digest never passes the password at all. And there are other
schemes.

>> It very well may introduce single points of failure into
>> your app. You can architect around those, but only at the cost of doing
>> a lot more work with a lot more machines than you would have had to do
>> if your app had followed the design of HTTP instead of working against it.
>
> How is using a session id cookie "working against" the design of HTTP?

Because HTTP is explicitly designed to be stateless and sessionless.
See, for example, Sam Ruby's RESTful Web Services.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!