[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:24:39 EDT 2008

I'd only keep the last two questions:

9) Why use Flash in web development? Why not?

10) Why is "separation of style and content" recommended in web
development?

I think the other questions would be incredibly ineffective in
determining the abilities of a possible employee. All of them could be
picked up in a matter of hours, while the knowledge and experience
required to answer the last two questions is a far better indicator of
of a talented developer. Also, an inability to answer any one of the
CSS questions wouldn't necessarily be an indication of lack of talent,
I think it took me quite a few months to stop checking my CSS cheat
sheet before I memorized Top Right Bottom Left!

Any webmaster/developer with two REAL (full time tech company) years
of experience would be able to have a much more in depth conversation
about web design philosophy, best practices and commonly accepted
methods of accomplishing a given task. This worksheet looks like it
might be appropriate for 1. Straight out of college or 2. Hobbyist web
developer (no CS degree). I'd take the requirement of 2 years off, so
that you attract inexperienced but technically talented recent grad
and hand them an O'Reilly book on day one.

- jake