[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Urb LeJeune urb at e-government.com
Mon Apr 14 11:45:36 EDT 2008

One of the problems I have with your test is that it doesn't look for
insights. I
would look for someone who can problem solve. A good problem solver might
do poorly on your test.

Looking at programming specifically, it's not about syntax, it's
about logic. I've
been programming for 30 years and taught programming and software
engineering from introductory programming to graduate level.

Give a candidate this test.

Write the simplest possible algorithm (don't use a specific
programming language)
to solve the following:

Given a single elimination tennis tournament (you loose a match and
you're out)
with N players. How many matches are required to determine a winner? Here is
an example, four players A, B, C, and D. In the first round, A play B
and C plays
D. A and D win. So far 2 matches and 2 players go to next round.

If they come up with a one statement algorithm forget the rest of the
test and hire
them. They will figure out what then need to know that they don't
already know.

I gave this little quiz on the first day of every programming class.
Less than 5% of
those tested got it right. Those who did went on to great programming careers,
without exception.

Urb

Dr. Urban A. LeJeune, President
E-Government.com