[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:58:08 EDT 2008

me = 24 year old with 20 months experience

1 year 1 month - Crap job outta college (very sketchy lead generating company)
7 months - Two man start up (I was the only developer)
Current gig at a small (50 employees), tech company.

>  2 years of experience on a résumé doesn't really translate into that much,
> and two years of experience might really have been two times one year of
> experience, and the person might have been pigeonholed into one small area,
> or only have been using do-everything-for-you tools...

I think I've learned an incredibly large amount in the last 20 months,
especially at the start up. During that time I was responsible for
everything front and back, on a very tight deadline. The experience
was incredible and really pushed me to better myself once it became
clear that I had sole responsibility for every technical detail ala
"Somethings broken on the website? It's Jake's fault!".

So, though I ::barely:: meet the criteria of a developer with 2 years
experience, it would appear I'm grossly overqualified for the position
based on the exam. Yes, I was able to answer all of the questions, but
had I been given the exam, I would have immediately recognized that
this is not the gig for me.

Maybe I'm not in the norm, but I think it's important that you don't
just hire people because they meet certain preset criteria. Look for
developers that have a passion for technology and take the time to
fully explore not just the how of a given language, api or toolkit,
but also ask why it was done a certain way. Ask them about their
hobbies at home, what interests them (personally I like toying around
with a Debian install on my NSLU2), I think you'll learn a lot more
about a person's talents when you find out what they do in their free
time and what interests them.

- jake