[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

André Pitanga andre at pitanga.org
Mon Apr 14 13:41:21 EDT 2008

Hey Jake McGraw,
> Yes, I was able to answer all of the questions, but
> had I been given the exam, I would have immediately recognized that
> this is not the gig for me.

Why?  We're not trying to break people down with this test, you know?
You sound exactly like the type of candidate we're trying to reach...

> Maybe I'm not in the norm, but I think it's important that you don't
> just hire people because they meet certain preset criteria.

Totally, absolutely agree.  It's hard to standardize this, though...
Multiple choice exams are clearly a poor substitute for subjective
understanding.

> Ask them about their
> hobbies at home, what interests them (personally I like toying around
> with a Debian install on my NSLU2), I think you'll learn a lot more
> about a person's talents when you find out what they do in their free
> time and what interests them.

This is true.   My most cherished tech project is, for example,
tinkering with my slackware workstation at home.

So, do you suggest we just scrap the test instead?

-André