[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

André Pitanga andre at pitanga.org
Mon Apr 14 14:15:23 EDT 2008

> When bringing on a new programmer for any contract that interfaces with the government you MAY care about "school, grades, or the results of a test [certification]"  It may be required by the contract, either directly or by limiting the salaries based on education and/or certification.

Tangentially: in your experience how have those holding industry
certifications fared compared with those holding more traditional
academic degrees?
I'm thinking of a B.A. holder with a Red Hat Certified
Technician/Engineer vs. M.S. degree holder...
(pls feel free to ignore if you feel this is ot)

Also works with: B.A. + certified Zend programmer vs. M.S.

> But I will never be able to leverage his talents against certain projects because they require certain measurement of skills by cert or degree.

Is he considering getting those requirements? again, just curious...

> I DO  keep a couple of "what's wrong with this picture" html/php/CF code snippets that stumped certain staff folk in the past.  If they can "find Waldo", they have the skills (and the attention to detail) for which I am looking.

Please share one later if you can :)

-André