[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Fee, Patrick J (US SSA) patrick.fee at baesystems.com
Mon Apr 14 12:53:05 EDT 2008

I concur with Ed, with one caveat:

When bringing on a new programmer for any contract that interfaces with the government you MAY care about "school, grades, or the results of a test [certification]"  It may be required by the contract, either directly or by limiting the salaries based on education and/or certification.

I have a compatriot who despises advanced degrees or certs, because he run into too many "paper programmers".  However, I swear to Jobs that he dreams in binary and has developed a "man page" for each of his own day-to-day activities.  But I will never be able to leverage his talents against certain projects because they require certain measurement of skills by cert or degree.

Getting off my soapbox, however, I DO  keep a couple of "what's wrong with this picture" html/php/CF code snippets that stumped certain staff folk in the past.  If they can "find Waldo", they have the skills (and the attention to detail) for which I am looking.

Patrick J. Fee
Manager, Systems Engineering Services
Technology Solutions & Services
Tel: (301) 231-1418
Cell: (240) 401-6820
Fax: (301) 231-2635
Patrick.Fee at BAESystems.com
"Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you
their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have
either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care.
Either case is a failure of leadership."
                          --- Colin Powell