[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Tue Apr 15 09:20:12 EDT 2008

At 8:15 AM -0400 4/15/08, Peter Sawczynec wrote:
>And more historically when I managed a 24-hr desktop operation, we had a
>3-hour hands on test in which you were put at a workstation, thrown a
>big aggressively marked up document and all the assets you would need
>for this assignment and you were expected to just do it live using all
>the graphics applications and print it out correctly. This hardcore
>testing method weeded out the talkers and turned up winners and revealed
>in very fine degrees their levels of expertise.

Now that's more like a test of abilities that I would consider.
However, with one caveat -- allow me to use the tools I work with,
namely my workstation.

Give me the test on-line and allow me to work on it without the "over
the shoulder" inspections and at the end of the time limit, just have
me present my results with my explanation. Keep in mind, that while
your office may "work that way" -- that "way" may not be the best.

Often in the corporate world the brightest ideas have to pass through
the dimmest minds. Give me a small group of dedicated and qualified
people and I'll do just fine. But put me with the corporate "this is
the way it's done" types, and it's not a test I'll consider taking.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------