[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

Urb LeJeune urb at e-government.com
Wed Apr 16 08:27:54 EDT 2008

>>  By definition, programming and website design is not a
>>profession.
>
>Really? What specifically is that definition?

profession: "An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering,
that requires considerable training
and specialized study"

Houghton Mifflin Dictionary.

Even an engineer must have a professional engineering (PE)
designation to perform certain types of design.
I don't have a problem with a self taught programmers, I've known
some great ones, however, a field having
a large number of practitioners without formal training is a trade
not a profession. A profession is also
self-regulated.

It's another thread but, should there be certification available for
programmers and web designers? If we
ever want to be considered a profession, that's the first step. I was
in the stock brokerage business when
the designation Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) first came into
being. It was extraordinarily difficult
and it took almost two years after the announcement before the first
designation were awarded. It required
two 8 hour day testing sessions. It made a huge difference in the
industry and these days you will not get
a senior level job in a research department without a CFA. Same thing
happened with Chartered Financial
Planner (CFP).

I'm unsure of the procedure, but how/when does one change the subject
when we have drifted into a new
area?

Urb

Dr. Urban A. LeJeune, President