[nycphp-talk] On Developer Certification

Brian D. brian at realm3.com
Wed Apr 16 09:46:50 EDT 2008

I'm sure this has all been discussed before (with much more flair and
depth than I'm capable of) but one of the hurdles in developer
certification that appears most obvious to me is that our industry
contains so much variety.

Variety is probably not the best word for it, but what I mean is that
the developer who is creating an application for monitoring nuclear
reactors is probably going to need to be much more thorough than
another developer who's just setting up a custom blog for a popular
band. There are wide areas inside the industry that require different
levels of talent and detailedness.

Although I'm Zend certified, I think that such certifications are
really quite useless (I felt I had to get the certification just so I
could say that without sounding like a hypocrite). It proves very
little except that the developer is good at taking tests and
memorizing material. There *might* be a way to develop a test that
creates a valid stamp of approval, but I have yet to see it. Again,
the problem comes back to the variety inherent to the industry. One
test can't encompass it all. You've got medical app devs that need to
be familiar with HIPAA regulations, financial app devs that need to be
familiar with Sox, and front-end guys that need to have familiarity
with UI principles...

I could go on, but I shan't.

- Brian

--
realm3 web applications [realm3.com]
freelance consulting, application development