[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

Jim Hendricks jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Wed Apr 16 12:31:31 EDT 2008

Guess 24 years experience programming in all kinds of environments with
15 or so languages does not constitute a profession then based on your
position that it requires a degree.  I have no degree.  I have very
little formal training.

The problem in today's world is that too much emphasis is put on a
degree, and not enough emphasis is put on experience.  I'm not trying to
denigrate degrees, I wish I had one ( especially considering the heavy
emphasis ).  But, when I entered the programming fray, degrees were not
emphasized.  I suspect that the dearth in competent coders at the time
was a heavy influence.

I very much like the lawyer example considering  Frank Abagnale Jr.
Frank was made famous by Leonardo Dicaprio's portrayal in "Catch Me if
You Can".  While the movie is an exaggeration of the reality of the
story, according to Frank, he did pass the bar exam without any formal
education.  Now Frank may be an exceptional intellect, but I think it
does draw out that it is fully possible for individuals to rise to the
industry standard without a formal education.

I consider myself a professional in a profession even without the
degree.  In fact, I consider myself a craftsman rather than an engineer
because I take pride in everything I do and apply ingenuity and
creativity rather than rely on a canned set of solutions.

Once again, I do not disregard formalized education, it forms a very
good foundation on which to build a profession.  But to assume that no
formalized education denotes a non-professional elevates formalized
education to the be-all and end-all for the profession.  If that were
the case, then, students coming out of college should be fully prepared
to BE what they trained to be.  I can't tell you how many interviews I
have conducted with graduates who obviously lacked the skills to do the
job.  Ability should be the bellwether, not how that ability came to be.

The real discussion is not on what qualifies one for the profession, but
rather, how do we accurately measure ability.  I don't have the answer
to that question.  And, I think that were an answer to that question
readily available, there would be no need for this discussion.  Maybe
part of the licensing process should borrow from the medical community
and require a period of "residency".