[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Thu Apr 17 11:08:12 EDT 2008

At 12:31 PM -0400 4/16/08, Jim Hendricks wrote:
>Guess 24 years experience programming in all kinds of environments
>with 15 or so languages does not constitute a profession then based
>on your position that it requires a degree.  I have no degree.  I
>have very little formal training.

Well... I have three degrees and 40+ years of programming and am in
the same boat as you are.

With the strict definition of a professional being one that requires
a license and considering that we don't have one, then we aren't.

The problem as I see it is that who is going to license me? Who is
going to set in judgement of what I know and how competent I am?

Perhaps some NYC government committee? However, their web site
(nyc.gov) certainly wouldn't pass my evaluation with 183 validation
errors. Some might say "So what?" to which I say adhering to
standards is one of the things that licensing is about.

I've been certified in other professions (Geologist CPG-2297, for
example), and the problem is what is the certification process and
what do they consider as important?

The web is changing everyday and I can't see any group keeping up
with it. Furthermore, what academic institution is going to change
their course work quick enough to keep what with the changes as well.
After reviewing my grandson's high school course work, I can see
clearly that teachers are not on the bleeding edge. So, in my mind,
even having a degree is of little value other than providing the
basics of computer science, which you can get along the way.

We have to live with the fact that there will always be people who
will hold to the belief that a professional is one who has been
licensed, but that's a very narrow view. My advice is to ignore them
and go about your work. After all, your clients will be the ultimate
judge of your work anyway.

Cheers,

tedd

--