[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Wed Apr 16 12:40:16 EDT 2008

Jim -- after 24 years in the field, I'd suggest that probably you are
eligible to be granted a degree based on life experience!! :)

I was certainly not saying that a degree makes any sort of difference
in competency (it doesn't!), but only that to be considered
a "profession" for licensing purposes, a degree (or life experience
constituting equivalence of a 4-yr degree!) would be most likely
required.

Probably I would run into issues with licensing myself as my degree was
in Literature & Linguistics (1985) ...and I used an old manual
typewriter to do my research papers! LOL.

--Kristina

> [...]
>
> The problem in today's world is that too much emphasis is put on a
> degree, and not enough emphasis is put on experience.  I'm not trying
> denigrate degrees, I wish I had one ( especially considering the
heavy
> emphasis ).  But, when I entered the programming fray, degrees were
not
> emphasized.  I suspect that the dearth in competent coders at the
time
> was a heavy influence.
>
> I very much like the lawyer example considering  Frank Abagnale Jr.
> Frank was made famous by Leonardo Dicaprio's portrayal in "Catch Me
if
> You Can".  While the movie is an exaggeration of the reality of the
> story, according to Frank, he did pass the bar exam without any
formal
> education.  Now Frank may be an exceptional intellect, but I think it
> does draw out that it is fully possible for individuals to rise to
the
> industry standard without a formal education.
>
> I consider myself a professional in a profession even without the
> degree.  In fact, I consider myself a craftsman rather than an
engineer
> because I take pride in everything I do and apply ingenuity and
> creativity rather than rely on a canned set of solutions.
>
> Once again, I do not disregard formalized education, it forms a very
> good foundation on which to build a profession.  But to assume that
no
> formalized education denotes a non-professional elevates formalized
> education to the be-all and end-all for the profession.  If that were
> the case, then, students coming out of college should be fully
prepared
> to BE what they trained to be.  I can't tell you how many interviews
> have conducted with graduates who obviously lacked the skills to do
the
> job.  Ability should be the bellwether, not how that ability came to
be.

> The real discussion is not on what qualifies one for the profession,
but
> rather, how do we accurately measure ability.  I don't have the
answer
> to that question.  And, I think that were an answer to that question
> readily available, there would be no need for this discussion.  Maybe
> part of the licensing process should borrow from the medical
community
> and require a period of "residency".
>
> Kristina Anderson wrote:
> > For all intents and purposes, a software engineer/application
developer
> > must have a bachelor's degree of some sort, and certainly after 10
> > years of doing this, I consider that it takes considerable training
and
> > specialized study to be reasonably good.
> >
> > My question to you Urb:  Would you consider me, a person with a non-
CS
> > university degree (B.A.), and 10 years of actual paid experience,
> > be "self taught" or merely "non traditionally formally educated"...?
> > It's true that the skills to be a good programmer were learned "in
the
> > field" and not in a classroom but isn't that true of everyone?  And
> > say "self taught" is to really underestimate the contributions of
very
> > brilliant people I have learned from over the years including one
Dr.