[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Wed Apr 16 21:01:12 EDT 2008

market is totally open for me to charge whatever
>  I want are well...interesting theory and pretty typical politics for a
>  certain segment of the IT industry...but.

Maybe the problem is you haven't met anyone on the other side.  I just
did a gig with a large consulting company and you would fall off your
chair if you know what they were paid for a one page (but very
interactive) site.  You have to ask yourself why they are getting it
and you are not.

And saying I "look to
>  others" to "solve my problems" is beyond a low blow, it's just too
>  stupid a remark to even rebut.

I didn't mean it as an insult, so if it came across that way, I
apologize.  But, you can't stand there and say that you are not making
what you are worth.  If you agreed to the price, then that's what it
is worth.  Prices rise for a reason: expenses, inflation.  Why aren't
your fees rising?  Because of others in the market?  Then how come
they can work for less?  I don't think it is jawflap - you really need
to ask these questions.  If your fees can't rise, what can you do to
earn more?

But, I do agree that this conversation has gone on a bit too long.
I'll stop now.

Tom