[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Brian D. brian at realm3.com
Thu Apr 17 07:31:34 EDT 2008

"I want to be a programmer.  I just want to get paid what my skills
are WORTH as a programmer."

As a hobby economist I have to respond to this one. :D

It sounds to me like you'd like to legislate what you're worth. That
approach causes even more problems than it solves because it means a
lot of people who could be employed at lower rates will now be
unemployable, period. We are all worth what the market says we're
worth. If demand for talented developers is high, and supply is low
(as I've seen here in NYC) then you'll be paid handsomely. If demand
is low, and supply is high, then you'll be paid very little.

If you believe you are worth more than you're currently getting - than
quit! Find another job that pays you what you're looking for. I know
from experience that there are 100k+ jobs out there for *good* PHP
developers (granted, it's my personal belief that it takes a little
more than just developer skills to hit that mark, but they *are* out
there).

Dictating by government fiat what a "programmer" should make only
exacerbates the problem by leaving all those sub-par developers out in
the cold - completely unemployable in their industry. With that
prospect, average developers will never even have the chance to become
above-average.

- Brian D.

--
realm3 web applications [realm3.com]
freelance consulting, application development