[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at altzman.com
Thu Apr 17 16:25:52 EDT 2008

on 2008-04-17 16:05 Joseph Crawford said the following:
> with the days of video conferencing i really do not see the point of
> going in-house for anything.  My employer likes to bring me down here so
> i go with the flow.

Well, that's very nice. But not every company *has* video conferencing.
And sometimes you need more than 15 minutes of conferencing time.

I'm not going to try to convince those of you who are "lone coders" the
value of a co-located team. I will say that others do NOT feel as you
do. Strangely enough, sometimes you need more than one person to do the job!

_Peopleware_, my oft-quoted reference, goes to lengths to talk about the
benefits of "teams" of people working in physical proximity, and the
positive results coming from that.

I am not saying that telecommuting has its place, only that
telecommuting is NOT the answer to all problems, and that
sometimes...you just gotta be there! This is why those folks who
*demand* 100% telecommuting do not work for me (even if I have one
special case).

> Joseph Crawford

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman        jbaltz at altzman.com     www.jbaltz.com
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.