[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Jason Scott JasonS at innovationads.com
Thu Apr 17 16:48:27 EDT 2008

Well, I can safely say that not a day goes by without an ad hoc design debate springing up, and believe me when I tell you that the folks who are not here for it - well, they miss it. And when we do get home based employees on the phone, we deal with barking dogs, doorbells, screaming children, and lots of chewing. :-) Personally, I like dogs and children, so it makes me smile - but when we have multimillion dollar clients on the phone dealing with a broken app? Not so good.

I am not against working from home, but I believe it works better as the exception, and not the rule, which is the complete opposite of what I'm hearing so far.

Development servers are in house, VPN functionality and speed are no match for the connectivity you get inside the office, most people don't have as well equipped computing infrastructure at home as we do here, they don't have multiline phones and two way speakers, their home pc's crash and it takes them hours if not days to come back to life (whereas in the office we would simply swap in a new pc with a fresh image), and on and on and on...

On the upside, getting used to home based developers is one small step towards getting used to offshoring, which is what we all want at the end of the day anyways, right? ;-)

Anyone out there who is wondering why offshoring is booming, please read this thread from the beginning.

<audible sigh>