[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Fri Apr 18 10:38:00 EDT 2008

>on 2008-04-17 15:46 Tim Lieberman said the following:
>>Why people insist on on-site work is a bit beyond me.  If you're willing
>
>Because, well, sometimes hard and fast specs aren't available, and
>working face to face with someone allows better communication.
>It's as simple and as profound as that.

It may allow quicker communication, but that can be handled by telephone.

What I don't like about quicker communication is there is no record
of what was said -- but that's not a problem in email.

You want me to work for you, simply tell me what you want. That
communication not only defines the project, but get the client to
think it terms of what's important to them.

>>probably worth it to have them on-site.  But anyone with 5+ years
>>solid development experience should be allowed to work how they
>>work best.  That way, you get the best bang for you buck, IMO.
>
>That may work well, if there are well-defined tasks and little
>change. With many moving parts, it becomes harder.
>Your mileage may vary.

My mileage does vary. I have worked on numerous projects that have
moving parts -- in fact, they all do. But written communication
better defines what the needs are -- and -- they come with a time
stamp.

The net is a different critter for product development and distribution.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------