[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at altzman.com
Fri Apr 18 12:03:38 EDT 2008

on 2008-04-18 10:38 tedd said the following:
>> Because, well, sometimes hard and fast specs aren't available, and
>> working face to face with someone allows better communication.
>> It's as simple and as profound as that.
> It may allow quicker communication, but that can be handled by telephone.

Some can; some cannot. When you have a captive audience in front of you,
you often get a higher percentage of attention than you do when the
other party could be IMing a second person and/or composing an email to
a third.

> You want me to work for you, simply tell me what you want. That
> communication not only defines the project, but get the client to think
> it terms of what's important to them.

And fat people should simply just not eat so much! It's just that simple!

>> That may work well, if there are well-defined tasks and little change.
>> With many moving parts, it becomes harder.
>> Your mileage may vary.
> My mileage does vary. I have worked on numerous projects that have
> moving parts -- in fact, they all do. But written communication better
> defines what the needs are -- and -- they come with a time stamp.

That's right...if you are lucky enough to have projects that work in
that fashion. Not everyone works in email. Not all clients WANT to.

> tedd

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman        jbaltz at altzman.com     www.jbaltz.com
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.