[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Sat Apr 19 18:55:24 EDT 2008

David, I have to say, I do plan on returning to school at one point for
my Ph.D...but it won't be in CS or any "vocational" field.   I have
several things in mind but they're all extremely impractical. :)

The only "vocational" type of education I can see myself getting is a
law degree if I ever, in the years I have left, do decide to pursue
that...but we'll see how this programming thing pans out!

Also -- re our classes:  We had geometry and algebra and chemistry and
bio --  but the calculus and physics were "for the boys". LOL!
I guess they were very afraid we'd start burning our bras and building
nuclear weapons in our kitchens??

--Kristina

> Kristina Anderson wrote:
> > Ajai -- in order to choose a math or science type of major at the
> > university, students were required to have taken Physics in HS.  So
> > refusing me permission to do the senior year Physics course in HS
> > effectively left me out of that option.
> >
> > Bearing in mind this was 30 years ago and I do HOPE things have
changed.

> Yes, they did. But this was common in Germany, too,  when my parents
went to
> school. My aunt was lucky, she went to school right after the war and
there
> was a teacher shortage. They just didn't have the staff to teach
different
> classes. This is why she had geometry and algebra with the boys,
something she
> really appreciated when she later worked as a taylor. She once had to
make
> triangular and octogonal pillow covers. Among her staff she was the
only one
> who could figure out how to place the pieces on the cloth to lessen
waste.
> When I went to high school we had all classes together, including PE.
That was
> normal for us. We also had two years of "textile sculpturing"
(couldn't find a
> better translation). It was like art class, but with textiles only.
This is