[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+ Developer

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Tue Apr 22 12:49:57 EDT 2008

So,

"recognized user group member"

And what does this actually mean?

Active on a mailing list?  Shows up at meetings?  Knows the organizer
of the group?  Pays dues?

As the founder and past president of LIPHP I can say that this is hard
to validate.  Sure, there are people in the group and on the list who
ask great questions and give great advice but as a user group, with
intentions of being free and open to all, I would be concerned that
this is beginnings of local politics" (not what you know but who) and
the lack of that is what I enjoyed most about our group.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea, just saying that really, it is going to
come down to this:

1. Candidate says that they are a member of User Group
2. Hiring manager goes to Google and/or mailing list of that User
Group and searches for that user
3. Hiring manager reads those posts and gets a sense of their
involvement (or lack thereof) and technical ability.

Which is probably what is going to happen anyway.

Tom
http://www.liphp.org