[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+Developer

Peter Sawczynec ps at sun-code.com
Tue Apr 22 12:56:56 EDT 2008

I believe in cert in general. I believe it provides a real tool for any
journeyman in any industry to launch themselves on a known career path.

So I would have to answer yes. If a programmer has the knowledge and
poise to successfully rise to the series of questions and situations
that are posed in cert testing then I would feel comfortable we have a
more known entity of a programmer before us. From this benchmark
stepping stone we can as managers more reliably look for talent of a
known level and the talent has a known knowledge level to strive for. I
don't think it would take long for a PHP certified user to be matched
with a commensurate known decent salary that acknowledges their
practical study achievement and future potential.

Now keep in mind, I am not a developer who is knowledgeable to the
maximum degree. I am not a PHP innovator myself. I want that clear. I am
not on a high-horse pontificating here. I am trying to help programmers
who are just now facing the knowledge/standards obstacles that I faced.
And I believe that, as I have stated in another thread, that the
seriousness of the quality programming that is needed (so much if it
related to financials) to we can no longer afford to just have an entire
industry of non-standardized developers.

We need some self-regulation, a self-regulation that dares to boldly
recognize that our programming work is of tremendous importance. With a
recognized need for trust, accuracy, and standardized reliability
because our work touches more institutions and people in more mission
critical ways than was ever anticipated 10 years ago.

Peter