[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+Developer

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at altzman.com
Wed Apr 23 22:09:38 EDT 2008

on 2008-04-23 17:25 Peter Sawczynec said the following:
> I believe the most beneficial PHP+ cert that we can strive for would be
> more on par with a Cisco cert. An acknowledged, industry heavy weight,

Note that the lower-level Cisco certs (i.e. everything but the CCIE or
its equivalent) now have a multitude of boot-camps available for them to
push you through in a weekend, and therefore their value, both real and
perceived, is slipping. It's been a while since I've studied the finer
trivia of Cisco kit, but I'm confident I could muster a passing score
all the way up to CCNP without studying for more than a weekend--a week,
tops. Would you let me loose on your routers *only* knowing *that*? (The
fact that I deal with Cisco kit in other ways on a daily basis
notwithstanding...)

What makes the CCIE so valuable is that it contains both a written and a
lab component, and the latter is damn *hard* -- it has a real failure
rate in the double digits -- so that it's unlikely that you'll be able
to pass it through book learning alone. That is to say: in order to pass
it, you're most likely an experienced practitioner already.

I see a lot of talk about certifications, and I have to reiterate the
question: why bother? In other words, what are you trying to accomplish?
In order for it to really fulfill its mission, a certification basically
needs to substantiate someone's years of experience and actual ability
to perform: it's a *certification* that you can *do something* that
isn't just your word for it, and it comes from an impartial third party
(whoever they may be).

Of course, it matters a bit who the certifying authority is (which is
why people value degrees from real colleges over mail-order degrees),
but unless there is a statutory requirement for licensure and
registration, the only value of the certification "in the marketplace"
is what the holders are actually doing: if you've got a certificate that
is, in a word, achievable in a week's intensive course, it's worthless
except to paper collectors, and the market will value the certification
accordingly.

> difficult but well worth while cert. I believe that the cert should be
> advanced, sophisticated and relatively difficult -- the PHP+ cert should
> not be about qualifying entry-level initiates, it would be used for
> qualifying middle to expert level.

Peter has successfully compiled the correct here. I would take it
further: the exam should be QUITE difficult, and dilettantes should NOT
be able to pass it.

Make a certification more like the PE, where you must show verifiable
years of experience (signed off by another in the field), and have a
tough exam on top of that (and I'm not even counting the EIT), or more
like the CCIE, with a very difficult pair of exams, *written and
practical*, and then you'd have a certification that is worth bandying
about--something that conveys the elusive "I should get paid more
because I'm *demonstrably* worth it" message.

Oh yes, it should also need to be renewed every 7 years or so, not just
to generate income for the certifying authority, but to demonstrate that
you're still at the level you claim to be.

> There could/should be a separate entry-level cert if needed.

Given the field of programming, I would suggest the "fog a mirror"
certification. For $29.95, I'll provide you with a certificate suitable
for framing. For $39.95, I'll even make it 3 color. (Latin available
upon request, and only to Kristina.)

> Peter

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman        jbaltz at altzman.com     www.jbaltz.com
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.