[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+ Developer

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Wed Apr 23 15:38:18 EDT 2008

Mike -- 99.9% of the people posting on this list do have a university
degree, from what I have seen!  A lot of them have MS or PhDs, even.

But, a 10- or 20-year old degree doesn't prove anything when it comes
to current technology.  A certification in current technology proves
that you are knowledgeable in a certain area, at least to a certain
extent, and also quantifies the knowledge base for our profession as
PHP programmers, which is why we are (mostly) in favor of a cert.

--Kristina (B.A., 1985) :)

> No matter how many certificates you stack on top of each other from
> Manhattan to the Moon, it STILL does not equate to a BScs degree. I
> see lots of people here bitterly complaining about legitimacy and yet
> the avoid the very thing that gives them instant credibility, the
> Degree.
>
> My very first experience with sitting in front of a keyboard was in
> fact while I was working on my degree at a time when BScs didn't exist
> and colleges were issuing BSEE degrees for graduates who majored in
> Computer Science.
>
> From my experience with certificates, the only people who really
> benefit from them are the companies that hype them and the test taker
> courses that teach you how to take the test and not whether the
> qualifications are solid or not.
>
> From my perspective, have been a hiring manager for more than twenty
> years, I know from bitter experience that certificate programs are a
> LOT more marketing hype than they are a practical barometer for
> gauging what someone is suppose to know about anything. Lots of people
> can pass tests and don't know basis stuff when you set them in front
of
> a keyboard.
>
> Some sound advice, GET THE DEGREE! When push comes to shove that is
> what give you credibility not some pie in the sky marketing hype that
> promises the moon and delivers chopped liver.
>
> In a hiring situation when two candidates are pretty well equally
> qualified, one with a degree and one without, almost ALWAYS the degree
> is the determining factor for who gets the job!
>
> This whole "self governing body" sounds a lot like a scam to me to
> create a yet another bureaucratic monstrosity that has no power and
> generates a lot of useless noise. Corporate Entities are obligated to
>  do what is best for their stock holders and that is the driving force
>  for how products generated by Zend Technologies evolve. The fact that
>  they haven't become a Micro$$$ is perhaps only a matter of waiting
for
>  the right time and has nothing at all to do with "community".
Whenever
>  they figure out how to do a licensing gig like Micro$$$, to exploit
>  all the PHP developers on the planet, then you will discover who
exactly the
>  "governing body" for PHP is to be sure.
>
>  My experience with User groups is that they tend to think they are
the
>  "driving force" for products when in reality they are, well, User
Groups and