[nycphp-talk] using PHP mail function on Windows server?

mikesz at qualityadvantages.com mikesz at qualityadvantages.com
Wed Apr 23 22:53:28 EDT 2008

Hello Kristina,

Thursday, April 24, 2008, 8:43:06 AM, you wrote:

> Thanks David,

> I found the following...is it worth trying to modify the ini file or
> should I start trying to use the Zend mail function and/or Outlook?

> //==

> Runtime Configuration

> The behavior of the mail functions is affected by settings in the
> php.ini file.

> Mail configuration options:

> Name Default Description Changeable
> SMTP "localhost" Windows only: The DNS name or IP address of the SMTP
> server PHP_INI_ALL
> smtp_port "25" Windows only: The SMTP port number. Available since PHP
> 4.3 PHP_INI_ALL
> sendmail_from NULL Windows only: Specifies the "from" address to be
> used in email sent from PHP PHP_INI_ALL

> //==

> BTW the client's environment is a hosted server and I will investigate
> the options available if we determine that this turkey won't fly as
> configured. I wasn't anticipating having to install anything and not
> sure whether that is an option.

> --Kristina

>> Kristina Anderson wrote:
>> > Hi everyone --
>> >
>> > My current client's app is a PHP 4 site running on a Windows box
> (don't
>> > ask...I have no idea why).
>>
>> Because it is a stable setup and typically outperforms a LAMPP stack.
> I use
>> this since day one and even before my PHP time for both development
> and
>> production use.
>>
>> > I'm trying to use the mail() function and
>> > the mail isn't cooperating.
>> >
>> > (Two things that I noticed in phpinfo() are that Internal Sendmail
>> > Support for Windows is enabled and the Zend engine is installed.
>>
>> I never got the mail() function to work right on Windows. There are
> tools
>> around. I did try once the Unix Utilities from Luckasoft (get them
> here:
>> http://luckasoft.com/download/UUtils_setup.exe). It is a freeware
> package for
>> Windows that mimics sendmail. It has a GUI configuration program and
> accepts
>> the same shell command format as known from Unix. But since this is a
> client's
>> box installing extra stuff is probably the least desireable approach.
>>
>> > So maybe I could/should be using another method to send the mails,
> or
>> > there is a trick that I'm not aware of that I need to use to get
> this
>> > to work?)
>>
>> Well, there are other means. You may even google for the CLI of
> Outlook
>> assuming it is setup and configured right.
>>
>> > It's not necessarily super high volume but we will be sending a
>> > significant amount of automated emails to registered people on the
> site.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help...

> [...]

Forgot, I was using the mail.mysite.com and the IP address for same
with similar results and it worked beautifully until they blocked the
SMTP port on me.

I have had mixed results with windows sendmail clones. Fake Sendmail
worked sometimes but crashed a lot so I stopped using it. Pear Mail
works beautifully and allows you to specify authentication settings so
you can log into your external mailserver.

HTH

--
Best regards,
 mikesz                            mailto:mikesz at qualityadvantages.com