[nycphp-talk] ColdFusion vs PHP (Ruby, Perl....)

David Mintz david at davidmintz.org
Fri Apr 25 15:12:08 EDT 2008

How about the non-free closed-sourcedness, or is it? I prefer something I
can download and run on my own pc if I please --  IOW I'd like to be able to
run a replica of the live CF site without paying anyone any money. The
article on wikipedia said you could "theoretically" run your CF app with an
app server like Tomcat. With something like MySQL/PHP you can way more than
"theoretically" run a copy of your production site on your own box, both
technically and legally.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Webmaster <consult at covenantedesign.com>
wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I work with Coldfusion day-in and day-out. It is a fantastic language that
> can get a lot of things done quickly. It's powerful, versatile and has an
> easy-enough learning curve. Don't listen to anyone who just says 'PHP is
> better', or, 'If you're starting from scratch, start with PHP', any
> evaluation to that degree is coming from someone who has little to no
> experience with C vs. Java. (Yes originally CF was written in C, but in much
> wisdom they moved to Java).
>
> I am very well versed in CF and would be more than happy to answer any of
> your questions off list David.
>
> -Ed
> Me at EdwardPrevost.info
>

>  Flame me for starting this, I know it might get religious. But:  an
>> organization of which I am a member is evaluating proposals to rebuild its
>> website. One of those proposals is from some folks who apparently are
>> partial to ColdFusion. All I know about CF is what I just picked up from
>> skimming http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColdFusion. Recognizing my bias
>> towards languages that I speak, I try to keep an open mind. I am interested
>> in hearing what you guys think about CF. I know I can expect a PHPish bias
>> in this forum but I also know there are a lot of independent-minded,
>> non-dogmatic, clear-headed, breath-takingly wise and knowledgeable... have I
>> flattered you enough yet?
>>
>> --
>> David Mintz
>> http://davidmintz.org/

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness