[nycphp-talk] Need suggestions on building a hacker trap...

bzcoder bzcoder at bzcode.com
Tue Aug 12 05:29:56 EDT 2008

mod_Security -http://www.modsecurity.org/
Allows you to at the server level detect and log hack attempts

Note: it's default ruleset can be very aggressive against some CMS
applications, leading to adding exceptions to the ruleset for normal
functionality(or more accurately, it leads to people posting on forums
saying "help, my web site suddenly stopped working today when you do X"
only to discover their web provider enabled mod_security and they need
an exception to the ruleset to function)

PHPIDS - http://php-ids.org/
Instead of functioning at the web server level, this functions at the
PHP level and gives you a much easier ability to modify your actions
using PHP.  You can use the auto-prepend PHP function to add your IDS
script to every PHP script file automatically at runtime if you wish.